Our gut is the primary driver of optimal health. This is where nutrient breakdown and assimilation happens. We know that we are not what we eat, rather what we absorb.
Eating "healthy" means nothing if our gut is damaged.
Alcohol, drugs and too much sugar, coffee and chemicals incl. gmo and pesticide-laden foods will sooner or later compromise our gut health, leading to a variety of symptoms. Surface symptoms that we may not link back to our gut, as the primary driver behind the dysfunction we are dealing with.
Our gut health is linked to overall health and to a wide range of conditions such as diabetes, depression, obesity, acne, rheumatoid arthritis, autism spectrum disorder and chronic fatigue syndrome.
We can change our gut health by feeding our gut beneficial bacteria, otherwise known as probiotics.
Now it is key here to be aware that all probiotics are NOT created equal.
Very few supplements will provide enough dosage to reap any benefits whatsoever - in addition to that they rarely contain a range of the most essential probiotics needed, typically just one or two strains. Fermented food like nato, home-made fermented veggies, kombucha and yogurts with live cultures and butyric acid found in butter, these are all natural sources of substances that will provide a healthy diverse gut flora.
Following are the scientifically proven six probiotic strains help transform our gut-brain and overall health:
1. Bacillus coagulans: improve symptoms related to a variety of conditions: acute rotavirus diarrhea, dysbiosis, IBS-diarrhea dominant, intestinal pain/gas, high cholesterol, canker sores, vaginitis and rheumatoid arthritis.
2. Bacillus subtilis: This strain aids digestion by helping to break down and assimilate fats, proteins and starches in our food.
3. Bacillus clausii: has the power to boost our innate immune defenses and also to take action against pathogens associated with inflammation, obesity and digestive problems.
4. Lactobacillus plantarum: expels pathogens that are associated with inflammation, obesity, wounds, heartburn, digestive problems and other conditions.
5. Bifidobacteria bifidus: helps replenish normal flora after potent antibiotics, decreases winter infections in children, improves HDL cholesterol and blood sugars. In new microbiota research, high levels of Lactobacillus plantarum and total Bifidobacteria were directly correlated with leanness and insulin sensitivity.
6. Saccharomyces boulardii: shown to treat gastroenteritis in children and adults, extend remission of Crohn's disease and improve irritable bowel syndrome.
These are the strains you want to focus on while rebuilding your brain and body; whether you are getting them from supplements or foods, check that they actually contain these strains for potency.
References: World J Gastroenterol. 2010 May 14; 16(18): 2202–2222 Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2005 Mar 1;21(5):583-90 J Bacteriol. 2005 Sep;187(17):6119-27 Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2007 Mar; 3(1): 13–17 Appl Environ Microbiol. 2004 Apr; 70(4): 2161–2171 Clin Microbiol Rev. 2007 Oct; 20(4): 593–621